Mid-Valley Clays & Shooting School
Target Setting 101
6181 Concomly Rd NE, Gervais, OR 97026
Tuesday May 17th will be working on Sporting Clays target setting from 8:30 am – 6 pm
8:30 Class room
- Introduce Students
- Why are you taking this class?
- What are you looking to get out of this class?
- What makes a good target and why?
- Rules to live by in setting targets
- Which colors to use and why?
- Type and size different targets
- Using the line of the target (what is the line of a target)
- Using terrain
- How to entertain the shooters not punish them
- What is an easy target to you? Why?
- Mix up the presentations, not all quartering away
- What is your “go-to target?” What does that mean?
- Punish? what does that mean?
- How do you know when the sets are good?
- Which traps and targets to use and why
- What should a modern trap be able to do?
- Why use different size targets?
- Shoot Some of Mid-Valley shooting targets
- Why are they challenging? Speed? Distance? Edgy? Color? Sight?
- What Targets do you have trouble with?
- What targets do you love to shoot?
- What have you noticed that is hard for other shooters?
- How to set club/soft and challenging world-class targets
- Spring soft?
- Trap targets?
- What makes the target a challenging world-class target? Distance? Speed?
- What is a club-fundraiser target?
- How make a menu
- True pair
- Report pair
- Following pair
- Good menu can make up for iffy target’
- Bad menu can mess up good targets
12 noon lunch (included with class)
- You will set 2-5 (if time permits) sporting stands with 2 traps per stand
- Each student will have? stands to set for Boy Scout shoot
- Each student should have helper to move traps (I hope)
- We will shoot most stands and discuss what was good and why
- Was it fun?
- Was it all different? Thinking outside the box?
- Challenge the shooter? But not too much?
- Could you see the target & did you have time to shoot it?
- 10) Review Objectives and Outcomes
- What is expected of you if you set targets at big event
- Did you get what you wanted from the class?
- What could have made the class better?
- Write a review of the class
Thank you for participating in this target setting class!